[imp] Problems on forwarding mail with attachment (filename mangling)

Andreas Geesen ag at netside.de
Wed Nov 23 07:27:44 PST 2005

Hi all! Nice to be here

I searched the archive of this list already on my problem, but havent
found anything similar though bug #1300 might have had something to do
with it. Since i've got the actual version of IMP (V 4.0.4 and HORDE
3.0.6) bug #1300 should have been solved.

Now for the facts....

I received an email with an attachment. The name of the attachment
contains special characters (german umlauts like ä ö ü - you know) which
display absolutely correct since the default charset is iso-8859-15. But
now i take this email and forward it to a friend whose inbox is on the
same HORDE/IMP server and no matter of choice wether to forward the
attachment inline or as attachment the filename is totally screwed when
he reads the email.

I found out when looking into my sent-mail-Folder that the filename gets
scrambled on forwarding since the notice about the removed attachment in
the forwarded email shows the same scrambled filename.
A short test by forwarding to an external email-Adress (gmx Mailbox)
shows the same result: scrambled filename.

I peeked into the sources of the received and the forwarded email. Both
filenames are marked as iso-8859-15 but thats the only common thing. As
you can see 'ö' seems to be invulnerable while 'ä' and 'ü' get messed with.

Right display: "Liste-Hermann_Schräder_(Büromöbel)_#2005-10-26.pdf <#>"

=?iso-8859-15?b?TGlzdGUtSGVybWFubl9TY2hy5GRlcl8oQvxybw==?= =?iso-8859-15?b?bfZiZWwpXyMyMDA1LTEwLTI2LnBkZg==?=

Scrambled display: "Liste-Hermann_SchrÃ-der_(BÃ-romöbel)_#2005-10-26.pdf"

=?iso-8859-15?b?TGlzdGUtSGVybWFubl9TY2hywz9kZXJfKELDPw==?= =?iso-8859-15?b?cm9tw7ZiZWwpXyMyMDA1LTEwLTI2LnBkZg==?=

Anyone with any good ideas? Should i try UTF-8 instead of iso-8859-15?
Is it a bug in IMP or a config-thing?

Any comments welcome

Best regards
Andreas