[imp] IMP can't open message

Alex Ng ngstylez at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:36:25 PST 2005

I am not using POP.  I have the server sent to an IMAP server on port 143.

You can test this yourself by sending yourself an attachment, say 10MB.
Clicking on this message will take SIGNIFICANTLY longer (about 20-25 seconds
on a high speed connection) for your browser to view than if you clicked on
a message with no attachment (1-2 seconds).  This is because it is
downloading the attachment into the server's memory.

We conducted a test and monitored the process list on our server and the
apache process in question kept increasing in memory utilization while the
message was being loaded in the browser.

You can test this as well by doing a 'top' on your unix server and order 'o'
it by 'res' to view active memory utilization for each process.

I'm sure more people have noticed this phenomena.  Any further
suggestions/advice to correct this is appreciated.

-Alex