[imp] Quota Indicator for IMP

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 2 10:51:08 PST 2005

Quoting Victor Hugo Velasco Esparza <victor.velasco at grupoicec.com>:

> I want a quota indicator for IMP, after doing some research I found no
> option/patch.

There is an option, but not a direct vpopmail option (see below for history).

> So maybe I need to sponsor it as bounty, but I don't know how much offer and
> how complicated it would be.

As far as a direct vpopmail (via php) support, it should not be too
complicated to code something up, and shouldn't require too large a
bounty, IMHO.  But finding someone to do the work, and in particular
to keep support up, might be difficult.

For such direct support in php, you would really need to find someone
with access to vpopmail and preferably someone willing to help maintain
the PECL (or php) code...  (See below)

The other option is a non-direct method.  That is, assuming vpopmail has
a command line tool to report quotas, you could modify the existing
IMP (et al) command line quota script to work for vpopmail.  This would
be IMHO an easier route to create/implement, and not require much in
the way of maintenance in the future (as compared to PECL/PHP code).

> Any suggestion?
>
> I use qmail and vpopmail, the quota are under vpopmail.

PHP used to have "unsupported/experimental" vpopmail quota and password
support.  Since none of the sork developers used vpopmail, and since these
functions have a disclaimer of:

"This function is EXPERIMENTAL. The behaviour of this function, the name
of this function, and anything else documented about this function may
change without notice in a future release of PHP. Use this function at
your own risk."

and other such nasty disclaimers (such as functions having no documentation
at all),  these were never included in sork and AFAIK in IMP either.

Now, the functionality was moved out of PHP and into PECL.  This means it
is probably easier to maintain/fix/develope, but harder for the average
admin to install/configure/etc.  So there is some hope, but not a lot.

The easiest solution would be to use a command line vpopmail quota tool,
if such exists, to implement a "command line" quota routine such as is
in IMP already.  This should be fairly trivial for anyone with knowledge
of the vpopmail tools and general knowledge of PHP to do.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!