[imp] a change on the lists terms

Eli eli-list at experthost.com
Sun Dec 11 21:01:41 PST 2005

Toya wrote:
> Hi,
> I am toya from brasil just joining this list. Actualy I am
> here to ask the coders from imp could use another terms for
> the lists "blacklist" and "whitelist".
> Those are racists terms to define a "correct list" and an
> "wrong list".

I don't speak for anyone else but myself, however the terms "whitelist" and
"blacklist" are only racist if you believe them to be racist.  They are used
in countless other projects in circulation all over the world.  I would
assume the one that offends you the most is probably "blacklist" because it
refers to disallowing access.  Rather than think of the colour "black" as a
racial item, think of it as it's literal sense of being, well, black.  The
colour black masks any other colour out there thus nothing can get by it,
giving it a meaning suited for the term "blacklist".  The colour white is
the negative of black, giving it the meaning for "whitelist".

If you think of everything of having the potential to mean something racist,
you'll find that there are many more things to throw stones at than just
this.  However, I would be very interested in what terms can be created that
will give the same meaning as these do, but without using the colours
"white" or "black".  The terms "correct list" and "wrong list" are not
grammatically opposites (correct/incorrect, right/wrong), and neither mean
allowed/disallowed.  Your best bet may be "allow list" and "block list" (but
then to pick at myself, it should be "accept" and "block").

Eli.