[imp] imp cvs login/folders problem/patch

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Thu Jan 5 09:03:10 PST 2006

> Quoting Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk>:
>
>> OK so what doesn't it do
>
> Provide any namespace information.

...and provide capability information.  And provide charset capability
information for the IMAP server's search command.  As discussed by the
other devs, there is no way to get this information via the imap_*()
functions.

An imap_raw() function would be great as a stopgap, although I have no
idea whether this idea is feasible or not.  As long as we could get
the server return values, we could figure this stuff out.

>> and how is the problem of GSSAPI authenticated IMAP connections to
>> be solved?
>
> By a user like you submitting the code to make it work.

You will find nobody who believes more than me that the IMAP_Client::
library is nothing more than a hack around stuff that can (and should)
be done by the c-client stuff.  But the reason I decided to waste 2
weeks of my summer in reinventing the wheel is as follows:
1) my c knowledge, which back in the day was sketchy at best, is now
0.  so patches to the php c-client code by me was out
2) even if someone added a patch to the c-client code to add the above
functionality, it would still need to be added to the php tree, would
have no guarantees of stability for a period of time, and then need to
make it into a release version of PHP.  Then IMP would need to release
a new version that required this brand new version of PHP - which
would pretty much make 99% of the admins that currently use IMP go
crazy.
3) i (and other devs) were wasting *way* too much of our times
providing support for people who didn't read the documentation/faqs
about the 'namespace' and 'folders' parameters.

Long way of saying that, even if c-client stuff is ever done, an
interim PHP solution was needed.  And its not as if I truly
"reinvented the wheel" - I stole (sorry - I mean borrowed :) ) most of
the code from squirrelmail.

michael