[imp] Reading PGP/MIME messages

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Mon Jan 9 13:01:16 PST 2006

Quoting Barry Porter <barry at bpuk.net>:

> Sorry. I didn't make it clear what the issue is.
>
> Inline signed, encrypted, or signed/encrypted messages as per RFC2440
> (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2440.txt - OpenPGP Message Format) work
> correctly. These typically have a Content-Type: text/plain;

Not quite correct.  OpenPGP/RFC2440 explains the format of pgp data.
It is *not* a MIME type.  It is not meant for sending via an email
message.  There is no MIME standard for dealing with RFC2440 formatted
text by itself.  These messages will not work by default unless the
user specifically sets a preference to scan all text parts for mail.

> PGP/MIME signed, encrypted, or signed encrypted messages as per RFC3156
> (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3156.txt - MIME Security with OpenPGP) do
> not display at all. These typically have a Content-Type:
> application/pgp-encrypted
> What displays is a zip file for me to download the content.

This works just fine for me, the other dev's, and pretty much everyone
else.  This is all the code located in imp/lib/MIME/Viewer/pgp.php,
imp/lib/Crypt/pgp.php, horde/framework/Crypt/Crypt/pgp.php, etc.  If
it is not working on your system it is either a) a configuration
change you have made on your system, b) a bad php/c-client combination
or c) a very, very rare bug that only occurs within the parameters of
your system.

Obviously, if it is a) or b) there is nothing we can do.  And there is
nothing we can do about c) until you track down exactly where in the
code it is failing since nobody else can reproduce your issue.

> Inline signed/encrypted messages are not PGP/MIME messages as they make
> no use of mime parts.

Exactly.  This is simply "RFC 2440" data in a text/plain part.  And
this format was never meant to be used in mail messages - if you read
RFC 2440, it specifically says that if you want to send OpenPGP data
via mail, then you should use RFC 2015 (and its replacement RFC 3156).

> I have not adjusted anything within mime_handlers.php. It is still the
> original file that I downloaded. Should I be playing around with the PGP
> settings there to fix this or is it something else that is amiss?

No.  You are not supposed to touch anything in that file dealing with
pgp/smime/encrpyted data - which is what the comments in the file tell
you.  It must be another issue.

michael