[imp] Direct Maildir Access

Greg Swift gsml at netops.gvtc.com
Fri Feb 3 08:58:51 PST 2006

Based on my research the only webmail I've ever found that directly
access maildir is sqwebmail, which looks horrible, and is not nearly as
nice as horde, nor will it probably ever be.  As certain technologies
move forwad (GFS and clustering specifically) I think it would be an
amazing enhancement if there was a backend option of direct maildir
instead of just accessing via POP and IMAP.  I realize that that layer
adds some nice features and lessens some of the coding, but does anyone
else think this would be a nice addition? Heck, I realize that sqwebmail
accomplishes this by using a library of c code written to access the
directory structure, which if you are not using virtual users means suid
root, but with any large virtual users system, this  wouldnt be a big
deal, and could probably be forked into a seperate lib and utilized.

On that same note, where would one start if they wanted to add this?  I
may not be able to code it entirely myself, but I'm a fairly decent php
programmer as well as sysadmin, but I have access to some coders, so
that if it was a reasonable task I would gladly pursue it.

-greg