[imp] Direct Maildir Access

Greg Swift gsml at netops.gvtc.com
Fri Feb 3 11:39:32 PST 2006

> What would be the benefits of direct maildir access?

Taken from SquirellMail's Wiki page regarding Maildir (written by Gavin):

"I believe direct maildir support would cost less than 5% of the
overhead incurred by initiating an IMAP session (these are "heavy"
processes), performing some action, and ending the session (i.e.
non-persistent IMAP sessions)"

One benefit would be that if you were offering a webmail only system,
you wouldn't need to bother with the task of setting up a POP/IMAP
server at all, but even if you provided POP/IMAP access as well, you are
able to eliminate the load generated by POP/IMAP processes related to
providing the webmail interface.  I currently run the later on my
personal server, but almost none of the users use anything except the
webmail, so the IMAP is pretty much pointless, except that it HAS to be
there.  While on my work systems I also run webmail and POP access from
the same system (once again, IMAP a theoretically unnecessary layer
because the only time it is used is for webmail).

On my personal mail I am still runing on an old system, using mbox
support and pine is amazing compared to IMP for access to that mailbox.
This mailbox is around 500MB in size.  Yes, I realize that there is no
webui to load, but there is such a significant difference that I have to
believe the IMAP layer is part of the problem.

Then at work, I have a 900MB mailbox that I serve via IMAP.  I've broken
my IMAP server when trying to access it via IMP for more than just quick
check of my inbox, while it doesnt happen often I never have problems w/
IMAP otherwise.  I've used Evolution and Thunderbird to access the same
mailbox for a while, and while they both seem to crumble on occasion,
the latest version of Thunderbird (1.5) seems to be the only graphical
client I've used in the FS/OS world that can handle the size/number of
folders.  Outlook could probably handle it, but I won't use it, and is
not the point of this letter.

I realize that many people say, "well if you are having performance
issue use IMAPProxy", but then you are adding ANOTHER layer.  And
IMAPProxy is more useful in cases where maildir access would not be
applicable anyways.

-greg