[imp] Login / Integration

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 7 11:38:51 PST 2006

Quoting Paul Kern <paulrkern at alliancecom.net>:

>> What we would like to do, is have an icon in IMP, that would
>> automatically log a user into their Postini message center when
>> clicked.

This is possible, but fraught with security issues to be considered.

>>   I've already figured out how to add extra menu options/icons via
>> menu.php. What I'd like to know, is if it would be possible to write a
>> script that would re-use the login that the user used with Horde/IMP,
>> and pass it along to Postini when the new icon is clicked? (Is the

Yes.  You can retreive the username/password from IMP/Horde, assuming it
is the same as the username/password for the application you want to
login to.

>> login info temporarily stored as a variable?) Also, could this be done
>> by either assigning a script to the "onclick" attribute for the new
>> menu item, or would I simply link the new icon to the script?

How to do this would matter to a great extent on how you can login
or authenticate to the other application (Postini or whatever).

>>   Has anyone else out there ever made such a script/customization?

Yes, it has been done.  How to do it depends a great deal on the Horde/IMP
versions, and how the other application authenticates.

Of course the opposite may be possible too; login to Postini or whatever
first, and then have Horde respect that login...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!