[imp] Incorrect To: headers when adding recipients from address book in compose window

Liz Rea lrea at nekls.org
Fri Feb 10 13:27:09 PST 2006

After much more thrashing this afternoon, I have come up with the
following explanation for this problem:

In preparation to dump the addressbook entirely and have my user re-
enter manually, I made a CSV backup of the data in the addressbook.

On a whim I did the same to my working addressbook.

On another whim, I opened them both up, and this is what I saw:
In her CSV, line breaks are as originally noted:

,"user1 at nekls.org
",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user2 at sunflower.com
",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user3 at northkclibrary.org
",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user4 at northkclibrary.org
",,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ending quotes are on the next line! D'oh!

On my CSV, line breaks are as originally noted:

,"user1 at bluevalley.net",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user2 at northkclibrary.org",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user3 at yahoo.com",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,""""friend1"""",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user4 at jocolibrary.org",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user5 at holtonks.net",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user6 at hotmail.com",,,,,,,,,,,,,
,"user7 at bartonccc.edu",,,,,,,,,,,,,

AHA! the quotes are on the same line!

I corrected the line breaks on the CSV for my user, and dumped/
reimported the addressbook. Everything works fine now.

Our hunch is that we imported the incorrect entries from a client
export (specifically, a few versions back of Thunderbird). She had
several entries that I found to have the correct format, and as I was
fixing the CSV for reimport, she confirmed that those were the ones
she had entered manually through Turba.

I entered several test addresses through Turba and the CSV indicates
that the format is correct.

Would there be a way to, in the future, check for this kind of import
malformation and automatically correct it (or at least pop an error)?
This problem caused several "mass mailings" to get redirected to me
instead of their intended recipients, and actually in several cases
caused quite a problem for my user (and by extension, me). I'd hate
for someone else to have to go through that.

I'm glad to have this one figured out. Hope this description/solution
helps somebody out there.

Liz Rea
Northeast Kansas Library System
http://www.nekls.org