[imp] Idea for new feature: View Only...

Eric Gorr mailist at ericgorr.net
Sat Feb 25 01:14:33 PST 2006

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Quoting Eric Gorr <mailist at ericgorr.net>:
>
>> Quoting Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net>:

>>> It must depend on the user.  I like the virtual folder method and it
>>> certainly matches the Outlook client functionality or maybe even
>>> surpasses it.
>> Well, I, for example, subscribe to several mailing lists...currently
>> 27. I have
>> a folder and filter for each mailing list such that when I visit my INBOX, it
>> automatically moves all new messages to the appropriate folder.
>>
>> Now, the views I am most interested in would be:
>>
>> Important
>> Not Important
>> Unseen
>>
>> So, the number of Virtual Folders I would need would be:
>>
>> 27 * 3 = 81
>>
>> This seems to be an extraordinary amount of work for something that could be
>> handled automatically with an additional feature.
>>

> Try "Select All" then unselecting your Trash and SPAM folders.  You
> would need only three virtual folders.

I do not want to see, for example, the 'Important' messages from all of
my folders in a single list. If the messages I was interested in were at
the bottom of that list, I would find it annoying to have to constantly
scroll down when such extra work should be unnecessary.

I figure it is for all of these reasons that some popular e-mail
applications, like Thunderbird, implemented the ability to perform
some basic filtering on individual folders.