[imp] IMP 4.1 + UW-IMAP

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 8 13:58:19 PST 2006

Quoting Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au>:

> And I understand your position, but please understand mine; I and the other
> site admins here inherited this IMAP server setup. If I were able to do it
> again - and have someone else deal with the user problems - this problem
> wouldn't appear.

Yes.  I was in the same situation.  I sent an e-mail to everyone using
IMAP saying that on "some date" we would be upgrading the mail system
and that those users using a "folder prefix" would have to change their
clients, and included a link to a web page telling them how to do it for
a handful of popular clients.  Then, when the day came, we made the changes,
and the users made their changes, and we only had a handful of support
calls (probably about a dozen total, out of about 2000 users).

Sometimes it is easier to just grin and bear it.

Now, yes, I realize that most of you have more than 2K users...  But, I
think this can be done.  I've seen our institution of 50K students and
17K staff move its e-mail from plain text logins to SSL logins for
pop3/imap, and also move from non-authenticated SMTP to authenticated
SMTP, without much fuss...  Just takes planing, notices being sent out,
documentation created, etc.  If you explain the benefits (and I assume
here there will be a tangible benefit to the users) then the users
will usually accept the change.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics