[imp] Occassinal Problem with attachment not arriving.

tdrewry@bu.edu tdrewry at bu.edu
Mon Mar 20 13:39:17 PST 2006

[Configuration]
We are running:
- Horde: 3.0.8 patched to 3.1 security updates.
- IMP:   4.0.4
- Ingo:  1.0.2
- Turba: 2.0.5

This is running on PHP 4.3.9 and Apache 1.3.26 (internal build).
Additionally we are using MySQL for session and vfs handling.
All of this is then running under Solaris 5.8 and duplicated across 4
servers sharing Horde (zend encoded) file access via an AFS location. A
single (separate) server handles the MySQL connections for all four
back ends.

Within php, magic.mime is correctly pathed.

The Horde vfs is configured for SQL as such:

$conf['sql']['persistent'] = false;
$conf['sql']['hostspec'] = $_SERVER['XXXX'];
$conf['sql']['username'] = $_SERVER['XXXX'];
$conf['sql']['password'] = $_SERVER['XXXX'];
$conf['sql']['port'] = 3306;
$conf['sql']['protocol'] = 'tcp';
$conf['sql']['database'] = $_SERVER['XXXX'];
$conf['sql']['charset'] = 'iso-8859-1';
$conf['sql']['phptype'] = 'mysql';
<snip>
$conf['vfs']['params']['driverconfig'] = 'horde';
$conf['vfs']['type'] = 'sql';

<where $_SERVER['XXXX'] is a server variable related to the field
it is referenced by.>

IMP is configured to use the Horde vfs:
$conf['compose']['use_vfs'] = true;

[Problem]
The specific problem which we are encountering is, on occassion, when a
client attachs files to an email message, staying well within the 2 MB
cap we impose, then clicks the "Send Message" button, the message
appears to send correctly, only to arrive on the other side without the
attachments.

The logs show no sign of errors related to MySQL or VFS.

My suspiciion is that his is in some way related to the server
switching but since it appears that the client does retain their
sessionID, I can't figure out how or why it would cause VFS access
to mismatch or be ignored.

I have been searching for a solution to this problem through the forums
and various other resources for several weeks (so as to avoid Jan's
wrath), but I am at my whits end in resolving this issue.

Any suggestions or advice would be more then welcome.

Sincerely,