[imp] IMP: Check folders for new mail

Tornoci Laszlo torlasz at xenia.sote.hu
Tue Mar 21 23:48:24 PST 2006

Jan Schneider wrote:
> Zitat von Tornoci Laszlo <torlasz at xenia.sote.hu>:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>in IMP|Folders after marking one folder, and selecting the action: Check
>>Folder(s) for New Mail, you get the confirmation message:
>>You were successfully subscribed to "foldername".
>>
>>In my opinion, this is not a good confirmation message, some people may
>>actually think this is the same as the IMAP subscription mechanism (it
>>is clearly not). It is quite ackward to translate as well, for the same
>>reason.
>>
>>I suggest to change to confirmation message (lib/Folder.php:510)
>>to this:
>>Folder %s will be checked for new messages.
>

> This line *is* from the code that subscribes to folders.

Ok, I haven't checked the code, I just copied the line number from the
.po file. But my point is this:

If you don't use IMAP subscriptions, then you have (among other things)
'Check Folder(s) for New Mail' and 'Do Not Check Folder(s) for New Mail'
as actions in Folder management. If you use IMAP subscriptions (as set
in Options, Server and Folder Information), then you have two more
actions: 'Subscribe to Folder(s)' and 'Unsubscribe to Folder(s)'.

The confirmation message for actions 'Check Folder(s) for New Mail' and
'Subscribe to Folder(s)' *is* the same, while these actions are for very
different purpose:

the IMAP subscription mechanism is a server side thing, to completely
hide/unhide folders. Settings are saved on the server, and are observed
by other IMAP clients as well.

As far as I know, 'Check Folder(s) for New Mail' is an IMP specific
setting, to mark folders to check for unread messages. This setting has
nothing to do with IMAP subscriptions, and is not observed in any way by
other IMAP clients.

					Yours: Laszlo