[imp] Sendmail Question

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 24 08:02:12 PST 2006

Quoting Matthew Morvant <mmorvant at bigfatreddog.com>:

> I have setup a postfix/uw-imap server and can send and receive mail through
> outlook.  However I can only read mail from imp, when I try to send I get a
> sendmail error
>
> "There was an error sending your message: sendmail [/usr/lib/sendmail] is
> not a valid file"

You have IMP set to deliver via sendmail, but you don't run sendmail.
Don't do that.

> How do I configure IMP to send in the same manner that outlook does?

You can do one of two things.

Postfix comes with a wrapper program that emulates sendmail (takes the
same arguments, etc. as sendmail).  You can point IMP at that wrapper,
and it should work.

Or, you can configure IMP to send via an SMTP connection to a server,
rather than run a local binary program.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics