[imp] Can't create subfolders with UW-IMAP

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 31 05:07:30 PST 2006

Quoting Andreas Vögele <voegelas at gmx.net>:

> Andreas Vögele wrote:
>
>> I can't create subfolders with UW-IMAP when using IMP 4.1 or IMP
>> 4.1.1-cvs.  For example, if a user tries to create a subfolder B in
>> folder A he gets the following error message:
>>
>> The folder "A/B" was not created. This is what the server said:
>> CREATE failed: Can't create mailbox node /home/peter/mail/A/: File
>> exists
>
> This seems to be a bug in the latest Debian package of UW-IMAP.

I don't think that is the correct answer.  I think the correct answer
is that it is the way UW-IMAP works; at least as it is configured.  I'm
using a Redhat Fedora release.

The problem is:

Folder A is a file.
Subfolders are files under directories.
You can't create subfolder A/B because you can't create a directory A
because file A already exists.

I workaround the issue by renaming A, creating A/B and then finally
renaming the renamed A to A/Inbox.  Others suggested replacing UW-IMAP
and others suggested modifying its code.  See the archives with my name
from about three or four months ago.

Earnie Boyd

http://shop.siebunlimited.com