[imp] "Empty Trash" button deletes all e-mail from INBOX. Horde 3.3.1 IMP 4.4.1

Paul Oehler poehler at nexcess.net
Mon Apr 17 21:03:34 PDT 2006

Hi folks,

We upgraded very recently to the latest versions of Horde and IMP (3.3.1 &
4.4.1).

A client of ours managed to find a series of events that lead to all the
mail from her INBOX being deleted when she clicked the "Empty Trash" menu
item.

I've managed to reproduce this.  Here's what I did.

Under:
Options for Mail -> Deleting and Moving Messages

CHECKED: When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of
marking them as deleted?
UNCHECKED: Use Virtual Trash Folder?
Trash folder: [None]
CHECKED:  Display the "Empty Trash" link in the menubar?

With those options set, if you click the "Empty Trash" link in the menubar,
it will act as if the INBOX is the trash folder, and delete all the messages
in the INBOX.  The confirmation popup says "Are you sure you wish to empty
your trash folder?"

I understand why this occured, I think - having no trash folder specified
made IMP treat the INBOX as the trash folder while emptying.  I don't think
this is intended behavior though.  The end user certainly wasn't expecting
the mail in their INBOX to be deleted.  It seems to me that the "Empty
Trash" link in the menubar should not appear if the selected trash folder is
[None].  That would prevent this from happening in the future.

Does anyone have thoughts about this?  Is my assessment correct or am I
missing something?  Has this problem already been addressed somewhere?

Would digging into the code and working on a patch be my next step?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
--
Paul Oehler