[imp] Display of folders from Cyrus IMAPD

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Thu Apr 20 15:44:23 PDT 2006

Quoting Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>:

>>> In the old versions of IMP (4.0.x and older), IMP was displaying the
>>> folders from my Cyrus servers like:
>>>
>>> INBOX
>>>    Subfolder1
>>>    Subfolder2
>>> Shared folder
>>>
>>> Which is the way folders exist on IMAP server, the way they are
>>> reported by IMAP server, and the way every mail client in known
>>> universe (that I've been using so far) displays them.
>>>
>>> IMP 4.1 attempts to be "smart" and autodetect things.  And as soon as
>>> it smells Cyrus on the other side it starts displaying my folders as:
>>>
>>> INBOX
>>> Subfolder1
>>> Subfolder2
>>> Shared folder
>>>
>>> Basically same braindamaged thing as when setting "namespace" option
>>> to 'INBOX.' in older versions of IMP.
>>>
>>> This is extremely confusing.  My folders appear at the same level as
>>> the shared folders...  If one of my folders has same name as one of
>>> the shared folders, there's no way to tell which is which in IMP 4.1.
>>> Any way to get old behaviour back?  I do want to see my folders as
>>> subfolders of INBOX (the way they exist on my IMAP server).
>>
>> See http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=2422.  This is expected, and
>> preferred, behavior.
>
> OK, but how to get the old behaviour back?
>
> I've checked out the above ticket.

I too think that the *claimed* preferred display is rediculous. Why
is it called a tree? Anyway, I too read the buglist and here is the
message that contains the method (hack) to get the *correct* and
*proper* display of the namespace:

---8<---[snip]----8<---

Can confirm that Jan's changes work fine on a system that has a blank
default namespace (dovecot).

As for the mailbox level concerns -
I believe I've already made the argument why it needs to be this way
in this bug thread.
If you want to go back to the "old" (see; correct) way locally, you
can comment out the code block (approx. 10 lines)
in _makeMailboxTreeElt() right after the comment
"* Strip personal namespace. */".

If I don't miss my guess, they are refering to the file tree.php.
I haven't "upgraded"  because all indications from this list
clearly indicate that that it would be a downgrade. I have no
idea what they mean by "all other mail does it this way". I
have tried to find just one that does it this way (flat, un-tired
folder display), and by default every server and client used
does it in a tree - tiered/ staircase fashon.

Best wishes to you and good luck.