[imp] identities

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Mon May 15 03:09:18 PDT 2006

Quoting lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de:

> Zitat von "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:
>
>> Quoting Fabrice Grelaud <f.grelaud at drimm.u-bordeaux1.fr>:

>>> Do you have some php-coders at disposal ? Cause, me, i'm rather
>>> newbie in php.
>>> For my environment (university), it will be great to differentiate
>>> identities's options between "personnel" (multiple identity) and
>>> "student" (only one identity, locked) except particular case as my
>>> problem today. Some prefs by group, maybe...
>>

>> Am I missing something here? If using sendmail on a NIX box, you can
>> assign aliases for any individual you wish. I have found that IMP
>> (with an IMAP server) correctly expands the available aliases for
>> the user. Thereby only permitting the choice of*valid* aliases for
>> for the sender.
>> Is this not your desired goal?
>>
>> --Chris H.
>
> ???
> What do you mean by expand the available aliases in IMP? As far as i
> known the choice is to let the user set his/her e-Mail address per
> identity or not by simply typing it in. What we want to do is to let
> the users choose only from the aliases defined for his/her account in
> the database.
> What settings do you use and is this maybe a feature of IMP 4.1.x??

Indeed. What you say is true. However, I found that if auth is done (handled)
by your IMAP server (UW-IMAP in my case) the ~/.mail_aliases located in the
users ~/ (home) directory are expanded and they appear(ed) in the dropdown
in the personal preferences (identity) section. Granted, all of this depends
on what "security" model you (as administrator) choose to impliment within
Horde/ IMP. But I can't see where one could not "invent" a group within
Horde/ IMP and assign certian properties that would accomplish what you
are hoping to achive using the (some) BD model. There are *so* many
possibilities permitted in combination with Horde/ IMP and MySQL within
the options permitted in the administration panel of Horde, and IMP.
It should be _nearly_ trivial.

Hope I was clear enough, and this helps.

--Chris