[imp] malformed MIME

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue May 16 09:27:26 PDT 2006

> Zitat von Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>:
>
>> I've just got a call from one of our users.  In short, our AV scanner
>> rejected email generated by IMP 4.1.1 with "malformed MIME".  I took a
>> look into the email source (from user's sent mail folder), and indeed
>> it was malformed.  I can't attach complete sample since it contained
>> sensitive information, however bellow is how the MIME structure that
>> IMP generated looked like.  Also, this was one-time thing.  I wasn't
>> able to reproduce it, even when following exact steps user did (and
>> having user repeat exactly same steps too).  Basically, user simply
>> forwarded an existing email.  The email that was being forwarded was
>> generated in Thunderbird, and as far as I can tell was properly MIME
>> formatted (breakdown of MIME parts for that email also included below).
>
> This is sad, but honestly, if not even you or your user can reproduce
> it, how do you expect should we be able to track this down?

Well, I could have been silent about this.  I guess.  But somehow I
think it is better to tell other people about potential problems.  And
somehow I thought developers would like to at least get a note about
potential problems.  If it happened once, it can happen again.  I'm
perfectly aware this kind of stuff is a b**** to track down.  IMO,
most likely something somewhere used uninitialized variable.  And the
bug doesn't even need to be within IMP or Horde.

--
See Ya' later, alligator!
http://www.8-P.ca/