[imp] IE using OCR fonts to render message in Win98

Alain Fauconnet alain at ait.ac.th
Thu May 18 02:44:23 PDT 2006

Hello readers,

Not sure I'll raise a lot of interest on this one.
I had noticed *looong* ago that when using IE on Win98, the plain text
messages were shown using a weird OCR font (see attached screen
capture).
Back in the days of Horde 2/IMP 3, I remember that I had "fixed" that
by changing one line in <Horde root>/lib/Lang.php:

header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=' . $charset);
changed to:
header('Content-Type: text/html');

and that did the trick! (don't ask me why)

It's been a while since I had used IMP from IE on a Win98 box, but
today I did, and I have noticed that the same thing happens with IMP 4.0.
It does *not* happen with any other browser, neither with IE on Win2K,
XP.
I've tried all kinds of options in IE menus, fonts, encoding, view
etc. and that ugly, unreadable font is still used to display plain
text messages.
I've tried locating the file to hack in Horde and/or IMP, but failed.

Am I the only one who's seen this? I'm in Thailand so PCs are usually
set to use the Thai regional settings here, if that can be important.
Although I see this happening on PCs with both the Thai and US
versions of Win98.
The only place this OCR font appears in the configuration of IE is as
the fixed spacing font for "User defined" encoding. But if I change it
to "Courier New" the problem persists.

I don't expect a ready-made fix, but can anyone hint me where to start
looking? I can do Ethereal traffic captures.

And yes, we still have a significant number of Win9x desktops here.

Thanks in advance for any hint,
_Alain_