[imp] identities

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue May 23 03:08:50 PDT 2006

On 21.05.06 04:47, Chris H. wrote:
> The answer (to me anyway) seemed implied. ;)
> But I'll (re)answer. ;)
> What I'm tried to say; is that since authentication (in my case) is
> done through IMAP (not IMP/Horde). That IMP/ Horde poll IMAP for user(s)
> credentials. It would appear from my given experience with IMP providing
> the correct user email addresses and aliases, that IMP is capable of
> garnering this info. This, of course is a case where the users all have
> local accounts on the same box that IMP/ Horde are installed and running.
> I hope I was clearer this time. :)

My question was, where does IMP get informacions about addresses and
aliases? Probably not from IMAP, because I don't think IMAP does provide
such informations, unless there are some very specific extensions :)

It seems that there's a code in IMP, that can expand users' ~/.mail_aliases
if some conditions are met, however, I haven't found such code in IMP (maybe
I should look a bit more deeper)

And even, ~/.mail_aliases contains only user's aliases, something like his
address book, friends list - not his own addresses. NOT the addresses
directed to user to RECEIVE e-mail, BUT addresses where user SENDS mail to.

This is what I wanted to say just below:

> >Does that mean that IMP parses ~/.mail_aliases in user's home directory to
> >create drop-down menu? Or is it some other horde application (addressbook?)
> >who does this?
> >
> >I strongly doubt it's IMAP server, I don't know about any way how could
> >IMAP
> >server tell user what aliases are available (it's not imap server's job)
>
> Please see above, and let's think about this last statement for a momment...
> Let's say you are *not* using IMP, but rather, Thunderbird, or some other
> mail client that gathers your email from an IMAP based (capable) mail
> server.
> How on earth will this email client gather mail from the IMAP mail server?

I was talking about ADDRESSES, not about MAIL.

The IMAP and SMTP protocol exchanges mail, none of them will know anything
about mail addresess. Users' addresses are only MTA's business, it's MTA
who decides where to deliver each e-mail. and each MTA uses its own aliases
and users tables. Using system password database is the default which is
being skipped very often.

> Does the mail client phone ahead to let the administrator know in advance
> that they will be picking up their email at a predetermined time? Doubtful.
> It can, in fact authenticate against the IMAP server and it can do it in
> many
> protocols. It can (and in many cases *must*) authenticate against the SMPTd
> (sendmail, etc...) as well/ in addition to.

I have never mentioned anything like this.

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.