[imp] imp memory requirement when large image is attached

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue May 23 09:21:17 PDT 2006

Hello,

one of our customers received an e-mail with a big, large, huge image
- 2.1MB jpeg file, 6603x4708 pixels.

The image was supposed to be an atachment, not viewable inline.
The user even did not have IMP set up to display attachments inline.

However I found out that imp needs ~170MB of memory to display the
message, which did not contain anything else.

Could I know, what causes IMP to eat that much memory?
(gd library?) Is there any possibility to avoid this?
Thank you.
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?