[imp] Unexpected response from server to LOGIN command.

Anant Athavale asa at isac.gov.in
Mon May 29 00:17:46 PDT 2006

Dear List:

I upgraded the software from HORDE 3.0 to HORDE 3.1 and correspondigly
IMP,Kronolith, Turba etc to their latest stable versions.

For some users, I get Unexpected response from server to LOGIN
command.  The users were using IE at that moment.  When, I tried for
the same user from firefox, there was no problem.  In this case, only
side bar is seen and I get the error mentioned in the centre of the
screen.

In this list only, similar problem was related, but it was concluded
something like broken IMAP server.  But, if it is a broken IMAP it
should have happened to all users.

Following is the output of IMP test page after login as general user:

PHP Mail Server Support Test
Attempting to automatically determine the correct connection
parameters for your server:

     * Trying protocol imap, Port 143:

           SUCCESS - INBOX has 14 messages (4 new 0 recent)

     * Trying protocol imap/notls, Port 143:

           SUCCESS - INBOX has 14 messages (4 new 0 recent)

     * Trying protocol imap/ssl, Port 993:

           ERROR - The server returned the following error message:

Can't connect to isacmail2.isac.dos.gov.in,993: Connection refused

     * Trying protocol imap/ssl/novalidate-cert, Port 993:

           ERROR - The server returned the following error message:

Can't connect to isacmail2.isac.dos.gov.in,993: Connection refused

     * Trying protocol imap/tls/novalidate-cert, Port 143:

           ERROR - The server returned the following error message:

Unable to negotiate TLS with this server

The following configurations were successful and may be used in your
imp/config/servers.php file:

     Configuration 1

'server' => 'localhost'
'protocol' => 'imap'
'port' => '143'

     Configuration 2

'server' => 'localhost'
'protocol' => 'imap/notls'
'port' => '143'

The following IMAP server information was discovered from the remote server:

     Namespace Information

         NAMESPACE: "INBOX." DELIMITER: . TYPE: personal NAMESPACE:
"user." DELIMITER: . TYPE: others NAMESPACE: "" DELIMITER: . TYPE:
shared

     IMAP CHILDREN support:

         SUPPORTED

     IMAP Charset Search Support:

         Server supports searching with the UTF-8 character set.
I am using Cyrus-imap available with RHEL-4 update 3.

So, some users are not able to access using IE.  I would like it to
work on IE also.

Regards,

Anant.