[imp] How to configure imp for Cyrus Server?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue May 30 15:08:51 PDT 2006

Zitat von Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I am still trying to get Imp 4.1.1 up and running against
> our Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.3 server.
>
> However, I cannot make heads or tails of the new configuration
> options in imp/config/servers.php.dist:
> 1. How should I configure the 'quota' sub-array?
> 2. how should I configure the 'admin' sub-array?
> (cf. infra, for details)

Both with the Cyrus user.

> I would be glad if these questions would be answered not only on this
> (notoriously helpful) list, but also in the Imp documentation, e. g.,
> in the imp/config/servers.php.dist file of some forthcoming Imp version.
>
> Ad 1.
>
>>    'quota' => array(
>>        'driver' => 'cyrus',
>>        'params' => array(
>>            'login' => 'cyrus',
>>            'password' => 'cyrus_pass',
>>            'userhierarchy' => 'user.'
>>        )
>>    ),
>
> imp/config/servers.php.dist says:
>> see the comments located at the top of imp/lib/Quota/[quotadriver].php
>> for the parameters needed for each driver
> but there is no comment in imp/lib/Quota/cyrus.php. Nothing, nada, garnix,
> rien du tout, tabula rasa.

It should be self explanatory for every Cyrus administrator. You know
what the "cyrus" user is, don't you?

> So, how can I configure imp to get from the Cyrus server the quota
> information
> pertaining to the current user? That server reveals to every user his own
> quota information -- no administrator privileges necessary. The
> pertinent IMAP
> commands are SELECT INBOX, followed by GETQUOTAROOT; in our Imp 3
> installation,
> we do it via a custom hook containing code akin to:
>    $stream = @imap_open(IMP::serverString(), $imap_user, $imap_passwd,
> OP_HALFOPEN);
>    $quota = @imap_get_quotaroot($stream, 'INBOX');
>    imap_close($stream);
> I hope that Imp 4 will get the quota information without opening an
> additional
> stream.

It does, but it requires certain PHP and c-client versions. Since
these versions are common these days, we removed the admin user
configuration in CVS (IMP 4.1.2). You can simply leave the 'params'
array empty.

> Ad 2.
>
>>    'admin' => array(
>>        'params' => array(
>>            'login' => 'cyrus',
>>            'password' => 'cyrus_pass',
>>            'userhierarchy' => 'user.'
>>        )
>>    ),
>
> - What is the purpose of the 'admin' subarray, at all?
>   · Will Imp present additional menu items to a user logging in with the
>     user-id specified here, and if so, which sort of menu items? But then,
>     why should I specify the password in Imp's configuration?
>   · Or does Imp use these credentials for a chat, on its own behalf, with
>     the Cyrus server, and if so, which IMAP features will be used, and which
>     additional effects will this have for the user?
>   · Or does Imp need an administrator login to do its normal job, and if so,
>     how should I configure the Cyrus server?

It allows to create and delete user mailboxes through Horde's admin interface.

> - If I decide to not use this option (if this is possible, at all),
> how should
>   I configure the 'admin' subarray?

Remove it.

> - If Imp will use this sub-array to present additional features to Cyrus
>   administrators, how should I configure it to allow for multiple ad-
>   ministrators?

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/