[imp] IMP+Horde seems to hang seriously due to a bug

Michael Hickey mhickey at nontoxicgroup.com
Thu Jun 22 11:20:30 PDT 2006

GRP Productions wrote:
> When using a DB authentication scheme, or IMAP authentication scheme (to
> server eg. imap1) it all works. However, after configuring IMP to handle
> authentication, and try to connect to imap1 via IMAP/ssl/novalidate-cert
> (993), the following happens:
>
> In SOME mailboxes login hangs. During the hang, CPU load on the webserver
> rises more than 60%. This actually hangs the webserver (needs a restart).
> BUT, in some mailboxes it works. The mailboxes are not used by anyone else
> at that time.
I was having what I believe to be the same problem. After months of
trying something out every now and then, my coworker and I finally
decided to give up with the machine that was running our current
installation and install horde+imp on a different web server. As I was
configuring the new installation of horde on the new server, the SAME
THING HAPPENED AGAIN!

Determined to conquer this hurdle, I turned everything off in the horde
registry and then turned components back on one at a time. The component
that was causing our problem wasn't IMP, it turned out to be TURBA, the
address book component. Thankfully the webmail isn't the primary means
for everyone to check their mail, so we can live without an address book
for a while.

I hope this helps.

below are the lines i commented out in horde/config/registry.php to turn
turba off.
----
$this->applications['turba'] = array(
    'fileroot' => dirname(__FILE__) . '/../turba',
    'webroot' => $this->applications['horde']['webroot'] . '/turba',
    'name' => _("Address Book"),
    'status' => 'active',
    'provides' => array('contacts', 'clients'),
    'menu_parent' => 'organizing'
);

$this->applications['turba-menu'] = array(
    'status' => 'block',
    'app' => 'turba',
    'blockname' => 'tree_menu',
    'menu_parent' => 'turba',