[imp] Mapping From address...

Anant Athavale asa at isac.gov.in
Tue Aug 1 03:42:22 PDT 2006

Dear List:

We have a facility with different kinds of Operating systems and using
NIS for authentication.  In this environment, we have a limitation of
8 characters for userid.

We use ldap for authentication in IMP mailing system (which we know
supports more than 8 characters for userid).

But, our policy is that we should have same userid everywhere so that
it is easy to manage the accounts. So, we are limited by NIS / UNIX
limitations.

But, is it possible that, we have a additional attribute in LDAP
structure which has a longer userid, and we map smaller userid with
logner userid for sending mails.  We can do it for receiving mails.
But, don't know how to do it for sending.

ie. for example, my e-mail id is asa at isac.gov.in, but while sending,
it should send as "anant.athavale at isac.gov.in".

To conclude: can we configure From address by a script? Like search
ldap for a given id and get its longer e-mail address.

Regards,

Anant.