[imp] Authentication with IMP using IMAP slow on OpenBSD

kareemy kareemy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 22:03:49 PDT 2006

Logging onto IMP takes about 10-15 seconds for my users even if they are on
the local network. After the initial log in, everything is very speedy
(reading e-mail, moving mail, creating folders, etc...). Here are my
specifications:

Horde 3.1.2, IMP 4.1.2, Ingo 1.1.1, Turba 2.1.1, Passwd 3.0
OpenBSD 3.9, Apache 1.3.29 in chroot
Dovecot 1.0rc2 IMAP server

Apache is running in SSL mode and IMAP connections to dovecot are
imap/ssl/novalidate-cert

Since normal webbrowsing in apache+ssl and the fact that the IMP is very
fast after authenticating, I've ruled out SSL as a culprit.

Authenticating directly with my imap server is very fast. I wrote a simple
php script to call imap_open and it was able to authenticate almost
instantly. So I'm not sure how that could be the problem. Infact, about 2
seconds after clicking "Log in" Horde enters a Login success message in its
log file.

This authentication slowness seems to be constant even for users with no
folders and only a few e-mails along with users who have dozens of folders
and hundreds of e-mails.

Since I'm running apache in a chroot, it cannot perform DNS or other
lookups. However, I wrote a simple php script to run gethostbyaddr() and
gethostbyname(). They both fail, but they fail instantly instead of timing
out and 10 seconds for a dns timeout seems short. I even put in a /etc/hosts
file in the chroot so that apache could resolve my IP, but that did not
speed things up.

Could there be anything else I am missing especially in regards to the
chroot or is it normal for IMP to take 10-15 seconds to load up everything
after authentication? I could have sworn it was faster for me in the past.
I've tried during times where the server had virtually no load and no users
were logged in and it is very low volume to begin with. I also just read the
slowness thread about Turba but getting rid of turba didn't solve anything
for me.

Thanks in advance,
Kareem