[imp] _prefs_hook_fullname

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Aug 9 10:30:13 PDT 2006

Hello,

apparently, I had tried my hand on the wrong hook.

Currently, I want to achieve, with Horde 3.1.2 and Imp H3 4.1.2,
the following behaviour:
- users shall be able to log in to Imp with the local part of their
   e-mail address, e. g. "Hugine.Habicht",
- Imp must connect to IMAP server using the pertinent mailbox name,
   e. g. "pop15959",
- on outgoing mail (compose, SMTP), Imp shall insert the full
   e-mail-address into the SMTP envelope, and both the
   common name and the full e-mail address into the From line,
   e. g. "Hugine H. Habicht <Hugine.Habicht at uni-konstanz.de>.
Wich hooks, or configuration settings, should I use to achieve
these three goals?

Apparently, I need
- a hook to transform the Username supplied in the login screen
   into the mailbox name,
- a hook to suppliy the common name for the From line, based on
   either the mailbox, or the user name,
- a hook, or a configuration setting, to append the domain name;
   I think the latter is achieved by
   $conf['compose']['add_maildomain_to_unexpandable'] = true;
   but will Imp add the domain to the username, as required, or
   will it apppend it to the mailbox name? In the latter case,
   I would need another hook.

(Both mailbox and common name can be derived from the e-mail address,
and both e-mail address and common name from the mailbox, via LDAP
requests -- this is not the  problem.)

I had also asked:
> And how should the Horde/Imp documentation be amended?

And Jan has answered:
> I don't know because everyone else seems to get along with the existing
> documentation. But ideas or patches how to improve the documentation are
> of course always welcome.

The problem I have with the documentation is that you really can
understand all those hints on configuration parameters only when
you have seen Horde, and Imp, running -- it is sort of an hen-and-egg
problem. In the particular case of hooks, I cannot reliably derive from
the documentation in horde/config/hooks.php.dist, when and how (with
which arguments) the particular hooks are invoked, so it is rather
difficult to assess their pertinet purpose and to sensibly code them.

I am willing to contribute towards more thorough documentation, as soon
as I have succeeded in understanding the issues at hand. (And I have
already done so, in two cases that are already comitted to the Horde,
and Imp code base, respectively.)

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz