[imp] IMP: special characters in composed message

"Tilman Höner zu Siederdissen" thzs at gmx.net
Sat Sep 2 18:41:19 PDT 2006

Hi everybody,

I have searched the Horde FAQ, bug reports, and mailing list archives but I could not find a solution for the following problem:
When I compose a message in IMP (version 4.1.3 with Horde 3.1.3) and insert special characters (either by keyboard or the build-in special characters dialog) like the German umlauts äöü or French letters with accents I get very strange looking emails. While composing it looks fine but the mail that is send out is always missing characters. Here is one example:
The text "ööö, üüü, äää" becomes "ö üä". The message source code looks like this: "=F6 =FC=E4". I use the ISO-8859-15 charset and the mail header contains this:
The result does not depend on the browser I use. When I use UTF-8 encoding instead of ISO-8859-15 no characters are lost but the special characters are replaced by rectanges with question marks inside. On the server Horde is running on the enviroment variable LANG is set to en_US.UTF-8 (don't know if this is relevant at all). BTW: Special character in the subject line seem to work just fine.

My employer uses a Horde/IMP based webmail interface, too. There I don't have this problem. So I assume the reason is somewhere in my Horde configuration. I also checked the SMTP server that is used. It supports special characters just fine when I send mails with pine or Thunderbird.

I hope you can give me some advice how to find the reason for this problem.

Best regards,
Tilman