[imp] Charset

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Sep 14 05:59:38 PDT 2006

Hello Markus Braun,

you write:
> when i forwar some emails from e.g gmx then i have a problem to see the
> email in imp.
>
> It tells me, that i have the wrong character.
> The Message was created with: iso-8859-15
> How can i resolve this problem?

To locate the problem, you need the whole message source,
including headers. If you can read German, you'll find a
good explanation in <http://th-h.de/faq/headerfaq.php>,
otherwise <http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html>
will tell you how to get at the full source (but I do
not know a good (both concise and comprehensive) explanation,
in English.

You have not given enough information about the nature
of your problem:
- What is that "it" that tells you about a wrong character:
  Imp, or your browser, or what else?
- What was the exact error messge you've got?
- Which Imp version, and which browser, have you used?
- Does the same error occur with another e-mail client,
  e. g. Thunderbird?
- Does the same error occur with another browser?

E. g., if you are using Imp 3.2, it will issue an
informative note (not an error message) if the current
e-mail message is not in the code used for Imp's user
interface; in that case, Imp 3.2 will offer to display
the body of the message in the correct code.

Best wishes,
  Otto Stolz