[imp] New mail notification in INBOX

Jukka Laaksola jukka.laaksola at netland.fi
Mon Sep 25 03:50:50 PDT 2006

Hi!

We have imp-h3-4.1.3 and the new mail notification popup is working
correctly at folder's view (the folders.php). The popup is not working
at the mailbox view (the mailbox.php). We have set the no_newmail_popup
parameter to 0 everywhere and debugged the situation.

The debug showed up that imap_search at Mailbox.php line 388 never found
RECENT messages. We use uw-imapd version 7:2002edebian1-11sarge1.

Below is a part of IMAP protocol capture between IMP and imap server
when updating the mailbox view (INBOX). It shows that uw-imapd server
counts one RECENT message for "SELECT INBOX" but none RECENT for next
"EXAMINE INBOX" command. We believe this is the reason why IMP's
imap_search at Mailbox.php line 388 returns zero.

Can anyone help us to get new mail popup to work with mailbox view also?
And is this a bug of IMP or uw-imapd? The RECENT flags is there once but
IMP does not get the number of RECENT messages.

----8<----
00000000 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS
BINARY UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
MULTIAPPEND] User laaksola authenticated
00000001 SELECT INBOX
* 20 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1084376172] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 50] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)]
Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 4] first unseen message in /var/mail/laaksola
00000001 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
00000002 LSUB "" *
* LSUB () "/" saved-messages
* LSUB () "/" sent-mail
* LSUB () "/" spam
* LSUB () "/" trash
00000002 OK LSUB completed
00000003 LSUB "" #mhinbox*
00000003 OK LSUB completed
00000004 LSUB "" #mh/*
* NO /home/laaksola/.mh_profile not found, mh format names disabled
00000004 OK LSUB completed
00000005 LSUB "" ~*
00000005 OK LSUB completed
00000006 LSUB "" #shared/*
00000006 OK LSUB completed
00000007 LSUB "" #ftp/*
00000007 OK LSUB completed
00000008 LSUB "" #news.*
00000008 OK LSUB completed
00000009 LSUB "" #public/*
00000009 OK LSUB completed
0000000a NOOP
0000000a OK NOOP completed
0000000b EXAMINE INBOX
* 20 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1084376172] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 50] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 4] first unseen message in /var/mail/laaksola
0000000b OK [READ-ONLY] EXAMINE completed

Thanks
--
Jukka Laaksola
Netland Oy