[imp] mcrypt and IMP

Vince LaMonica vjl at cullasaja.com
Fri Sep 29 01:36:18 PDT 2006

Hi all,

So I went ahead and recompiled PHP with mcrypt support and recompiled
Apache [i don't do apxs, as i like modules compiled as part of apache].
The problem is I still can't get to my inbox - 99% CPU and after several
minutes, it eventually times out [apache kills the process that's hogging
the CPU]. I have ~450 emails in my inbox, 230 or so are unread. In my
~/mail directory I have 90 mail "folders" [mbox files] with several
thousand messages total. I'm using UW IMAP 2004c1 with PHP 4.4.0 and
apache 1.3.33. libmcrypt is v2.5.7, and mcrypt itself is v2.6.4. MySQL is
4.1.12. The CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 2.26ghz. This does not appear to be
a browser issue - at least as far as getting the same results in Firefox
1.5.0.7 and Safari 2.0.4, both on a Mac.

I'm not seeing any log entries with 'emergency' after/during the timeout.
I've turned on all logging, so I am getting debug messages relating to
gollum data tree sql statements [which i've not yet
troubleshooted/completely setup].

I'm logging into Horde via IMAP - imap/ssl/nonvalid-cert on port 993 and
set IMP with the same setup in servers.php. I've been able to login to a
test user who has 12 messages in their inbox and it works fine; I see the
inbox and can pick up messages [can't send, but that's in another e.mail
from me].

I'm fairly certain I need to tweak a setting, but at this hour, I'm not
sure what to tweak, so I'm just hoping for some pointers. Many years ago,
I had a Horde/IMP/Kronolith/Turba setup working awesome, even w/ thousands
of messages in two namespaces in my IMAP server [running on port 993/ssl].
This was obviously was on a much older version of the Horde framework, and
so for this install [which is on a different system entirely], I've done a
complete 100% fresh install.

If there are config files y'all might need to help give me better advice,
please lemme know, and I'll post them here.

Thanks a lot!

/vjl/

--
Vince J. LaMonica       Knowledge is knowing a street is one way.
vjl at cullasaja.com  <*>  Wisdom is still looking in both directions.

       When there's nothing else to read: http://w3log.vjl.org/