[imp] Seeking advice on slow login times (follow-up)

Walter R. Moore moorewr at eckerd.edu
Thu Oct 5 08:13:03 PDT 2006

Any advice on the benchmarking process? White-papers, etc? Any cool
horde plugin that can tell me horde is doing during the login wait?

I have done various routine things like straces, but web servers and php
don't make it as easy to watch a process like this from start to end.

Thanks again,
-Walter Moore

Quoting "Walter R. Moore" <moorewr at eckerd.edu>:

>> OK, I've verified that the LDAP entries are correct in
>> turba/config/servers.php
>>
>> There are in fact a couple 'extra' namespaces in UW-IMAP until we roll
>> out the next build of our IMAP server (long story) - would they cause a
>> performance hit after the IMAP connection has closed? I'm still on
>> horde-3.0.x/IMP-4.0.x and I specify mail/ as my folder path. (/ and
>> mail/ are equivalent on our server).
>>
>> We use two hooks in config/hooks.php (from the examples in
>> hooks.php.dist), both LDAP:
>>
>> _prefs_hook_fullname
>> _prefs_hook_from_addr
>>
>> Are those two calls adding a significant amount of time?
>>
>> How much of this can I blame on Ingo? I do get in several seconds
>> quicker with a new user than with my personal account and it's filter
>> rules -- as you'd expect.
>>
>> I did some sanity checking to make sure I didn't have a sluggish server
>> in the mix. I had very fast responses from all of these..:
>> ldap searches from the command line
>> telnetting imap-server:143 and typing imap folder and message commands
>> running psql -h postgres-server horde3 and doing counts on the horde and
>> turba folders
>
> I hate to say you may just have to do some benchmarking to figure out
> where the slowness is originating, but that sounds like the best
> solution at this point.  A well-configured IMP installation should not
> take more than 2-3 seconds to login.
>
> michael

Walter R. Moore --  System Administrator, Eckerd College
moorewr at eckerd.edu --  http://home.eckerd.edu/~moorewr

    Solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant.
    (They make a wilderness and call it peace.)
       ---Tacitus, reporting the words of Calgalus