[imp] Can a firewall cause a timeout for sending mail?

Bill Graham grahamcw at hurleybulldogs.com
Wed Oct 11 11:20:12 PDT 2006

My firewall has nothing specific to horde/imp in it
ports 80 and 443 that's it

There have been problems with IE being broken with ssl

This fix was posted on the list

-----   from list  ----------------------
In this case it's not a Horde problem - it turns out (assuming nobody
calls in the next few minutes to tell me it ISN'T fixed)  that the
problem is indeed with (surprise surprise) MICROSOFT.  It's, I'm
told, a bug in the way IE handles SSL.  To fix it I added the
following to my httpd.conf file...

In the VirtualHost section for port 443:

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
          nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
          downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP

(note all that's changed here is we're not allowing Export56..)

---------------   End of From list -----------------------

You can search for
Problem with SSL and compose

on the imp list for more details

Hope this helps or at leasts gives you a clue

Bill

Quoting Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de>:

> Hello,
>
> one of my customers cannot send mail via IMP 3.2.2
> from a particular computer, whilst reading and deleting
> messages poses no problem. (And, of course, he can send
> mail from another computer.)
>
> After waiting for 2 minutes, he'll receive a popup
> message from Imp saying: "Das Dokument enthält keine Daten",
> or so he says -- however, this string is neither in
> horde/imp/po/de_DE.po nor in horde/po/de_DE.po
> (it translates to "This document contains no data").
>
> In the horde error log, I find:
>> Oct 11 17:21:20 2006 [client xx.xx.xx.xx]
>>                     read request line timed out
> Now, I conjecture that some firewall is blocking the
> upload of the message text.
>
> Questions:
> - Which TCP port (or other mechanism) is used to upload
>   the message body? Anything different from the usual
>   HTTPS port?
> - How should a firewall be configured to allow for sending
>   mail via Imp 3.2?
> - Will this be any different with Imp 4.1?
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration,
>   Otto Stolz

Bill Graham
Systems Administrator
Hurley Public Schools
Hurley,SD 57036
USA
grahamcw at hurleybulldogs.com

This electronic  mail sent from Hurley Public Schools - Hurley, South Dakota
http://www.hurleybulldogs.com

NOTICE: This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may
be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you
have received the message in error, then delete it. Thank you.