[imp] bug in virtual trash?

Peter Ip ip at ariel.utcc.utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 23 07:18:37 PST 2006

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. See my comment inline.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Jan Schneider wrote:

> From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
> To: imp at lists.horde.org
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 23:12:20 +0100
> Subject: Re: [imp] bug in virtual trash?
>
> Zitat von Peter Ip <ip at ariel.utcc.utoronto.ca>:
>

>> I'm running IMP 4.1.3, Horde 3.1.3.
>>
>> If I choose "Use Virtual Trash Folder" while leaving the "Trash Folder"
>> option as "None", then deleting a message produces the error:
>>
>> Can not move messages to Trash - no Trash mailbox set in preferences.
>>
>> Why should it be trying to move the message at all? The documentation
>> claims that the virtual trash folder just marks the message as deleted.
>>
>> Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Set in the preferences to not move deleted messages to the trash folder, but
> to mark them deleted instead.

Isn't that a bit counter-intuitive? "I want to use a Virtual Trash Folder,
but I have to not move deleted messages to the trash folder." As IMAP
administrator, I understand exactly what you are trying to say. But as
a user, I'd need to read the IMP FAQ, and then have it explained to me
that "move deleted messages to the trash folder" means a real (not
virtual) folder.

And why should it be that if I choose to use a Virtual Trash Folder that
it cares whether I have the "move deleted messages to trash folder" on or
not, if it just flags messages as deleted (as expected). If I have a valid
folder as the trash folder, it (correctly) doesn't move messages to
that folder.

Peter

Peter Ip, PhD
Computing and Network Services, University of Toronto
email: peter.ip at utoronto.ca