[imp] Crazy memory usage when viewing attachments

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Nov 23 12:09:20 PST 2006

Quoting patrick <gibblertron at gmail.com>:

> I'm noticing that IMP requires an incredible amount of RAM to display
> a message with a relatively large attachment. For example, on of our
> customers was complaining that she couldn't open a message that was
> was 1.4MB in size. Our memory limit was set to 50MB, and Apache was
> running out of memory when viewing this message. Increasing it to 64MB
> seemed to solve it, but I'm trying to comprehend what in IMP is
> causing it to required more than 35 times the size of the message in
> order to view it?

Any code suggestions on reducing memory usage would be much
appreciated.  But remember the following:
1.) PHP is a high-level language, and was not designed for programmers
to easily manage memory usage.  mallocs, etc. are handled by the
interpreter and is transparent to a PHP script.  So complaining about
memory usage, without providing us pointers on how we (as PHP coders)
can reduce memory usage, is not tremendously helpful.
2.) You don't think that, for example, a windows program uses a
similar amount of memory to view a message?  Try running thunderbird
and looking at memory usage when viewing a 1.5 mb message.

michael