[imp] Installation on Ubuntu

Neale Rudd neale at metawerx.net
Fri Dec 8 06:55:34 PST 2006

Hi,

This is an installation question about the Horde Groupware Webmail Edition project.  Please let me know if I have the wrong list.  I'm currently having problems on the initial login, which shows as /imp/login.php.

I've managed to get this all installed to the point of logging in.  However, I can't seem to log in, and keep getting a "Login failed" error on the login page.

Additionally, the docs/INSTALL notes say that option 3 in ./scripts/setup.php should ask for a username/password, but it only asks for an administrator name, which is inconsistent.

Here are the steps I've used.  This is for Ubuntu Edgy (6.10).

# Install required packages
# assumed:
# - php5 and apache2 are already installed and running well for other sites
# - a new site has been created for horde, eg: webmail.metawerx.net

# get required extras.  imap, mcrypt.  cli is required to run the php setup script from shell
apt-get install php5-imap
apt-get install php5-mcrypt
apt-get install php5-cli

# -- copy libs to apache chroot if necessary here --
# -- create mysql database here --

# change to folder
cd /usr/local/apache/www/webmail.metawerx.net

# copy conf file, and edit path
cp config/conf.php.dist config/conf.php
nano config/conf.php

# Change:
# $conf['cookie']['path'] = '/horde';
# $conf['cookie']['path'] = '/';

# run set up script to fill in details in config/conf.php
./scripts/setup.php

# option 1 - set up database settings, these are stored in config/conf.php
# option 2 - create the db
# option 3 - set administrator name

# restart apache
killall -9 apache2
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

# Access http://webmail.metawerx.net/

At this point - I have only configured a login, no password.  I think this is an issue with the setup.php script.
The login name appears in conf.php, but there is no password defined there, or in the database.
The horde_users table in the database created with option 2 above is empty.

I've assumed that because this is a release candidate only, the docs could be a bit out, and the script may have a problem or two.  Therefore, because the users table is blank, I've tried inserting records with a username/password, using plaintext, MySQL's PASSWORD('password_here') function, and with high numbers for the expiry dates, or null.
Under each of these circumstances, I still can't log in, and always get the error "Login Failed".

Other:
- The login page appears correctly with no PHP errors.
- The cookie path is set to '/', not '/horde', because I am running the app from the root and not a subfolder.  So I don't think it's a cookie issue.
- I've tried with use_only_cookies set to true, and false
- Here is the session and cookie section of the created conf.php file:
$conf['session']['name'] = 'Horde';
$conf['session']['use_only_cookies'] = false;
$conf['session']['cache_limiter'] = 'nocache';
$conf['session']['timeout'] = 0;
$conf['cookie']['domain'] = $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'];
$conf['cookie']['path'] = '/';

Can anyone suggest what I may have done wrong?  Or is this an issue with the current release candidate version?

Thankyou for your help,
Neale Rudd
metawerx
http://www.metawerx.net