[imp] Auth::authenticate() login problems

Chris Miller chris at integratedventures.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 05:57:53 PST 2006

I have trawled the archives and discovered that it is possible to use horde
modules outside of the horde directory structure with the wiki entry "Using
Horde from a custom website or application". I have also delved into the
code to start recognizing the classes used etc.

However I have configured horde to use IMP as its authentication as an
application, and coding

$auth = &Auth::singleton($conf['auth']['driver']);
$authenticated = $auth->authenticate('username', array('password' =>
'realpassword'));

Results in the following message

A fatal error has occurred
imp does not provide an authenticate() method.
Details have been logged for the administrator.

I've done a fair bit of digging around the code, but have drawn a blank,

What am I missing here?

Also since others potentially will have similar teething problems with
getting this to work, I thought that I could contribute a hello world style
example of this based upon my experiences.

Regards

Chris