[imp] imapd Command stream EOF errors on large attachments

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Tue Jan 30 08:54:44 PST 2007

Greetings all!

 	I'd be grateful for any hints or help anyone can find time to offer!
I've scoured the list archives, WiKi and FAQ and tried all the attachment
suggestions and had no joy.

SPECIFICS:

 	Kernel: 2.6.8-3 (Debian 3.1); Athlon 1150 w/ 1 GB of RAM
 	Horde: 3.0.4; Imp: 4.0.2; PHP Version: 4.3.10-18
 	Mail server: uw-imapd: IMAP4rev1 2003.339; Sendmail: 8.13.4

PROBLEM: When attaching files in excess of 2.5 MB (but well under 60 MB), the
attaching process goes well but when the user clicks "Send" the compose window
goes blank and an imapd error registers on mail server:

"Command stream end of file, while reading line user=jdoe
host=webmail.server.org"

 	I'm using uw-imapd on the mail server and the sendmail limit on attachments
coming and going are set to 60MB with these directives in sendmail.mc:

 	define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE',60000000)dnl
 	define(`SMTP_MAILER_MAX',`60000000')dnl

Relevant parts of /etc/php4/apache/php.ini:

 	memory_limit = 64M
 	post_max_size = 64M
 	upload_max_filesize = 64M
 	session.cache_limiter = private_no_expire

Output of horde3/test.php is at http://pastebin.ca/333012
Output of horde3/imp/test.php is at http://pastebin.ca/333016

ANOTHER HINT: (Not sure if this is related)

When I try the "PHP IMAP Support Test" on horde3/imp/test.php with "imap" as the
protocol, on ports 993 and 143 I get a timeout or a refusal:

 	Connection failed to mail.server.org,993: Connection timed out
 	Connection failed to mail.server.org,143: Connection timed out

I have users coming and going on the IMP server all the time and the mail server
shows their successful imapd transactions all the time...

Brett Charbeneau
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library
7770 Croaker Road