[imp] session problems & memcached

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Thu Mar 1 09:03:43 PST 2007

Horde: 3.1.2
Imp: H3 (4.1.2)
Turba: H3 (2.1.1)
PHP Version: 4.4.1

We've been getting complaints over the last few days of more and more
people being booted out of Imp frequently.  We haven't set any sort
of timeout in PHP or otherwise.  The only thing I can think of that
MIGHT be causing this if the memcached session keys are being
overwritten due to high volume.  I took a look and we're currently
allocating 512 MB to memcached.  We're getting almost 90,000 logins
per day.  Though I can't tell exactly what our concurrent load is
(though it'd be REALLY nice to be able to pull those kinds of stats
out of Imp) I'd be willing to bet it's hovering around 3000-4000
concurrent users at peak.

Could the situation I described with the kickoffs be attributed to
load and memcached size?  If I added a second machine into the mix
running memcached would that seamlessly distribute the load?  What
would be a good memory size to allocate to memcached?  Also I'm
noticing THOUSANDS of zero-length session files in /tmp of each horde
front end.  Does Horde not clean up after itself?