[imp] Unable to login after install

Steve Williams spamfilter at lasnobberia.net
Fri Mar 16 18:27:23 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 14:10, Sandy Keathley wrote:
> I suspect you have Horde set up to authenticate against IMP, then have IMP
> authenticate against your IMAP mail server.
>
> this is what my /var/www/html/horde/config/conf.php looks like:
> ===
> $conf['auth']['admins'] = array('root');
> $conf['auth']['checkip'] = true;
> $conf['auth']['checkbrowser'] = true;
> $conf['auth']['alternate_login'] = false;
> $conf['auth']['redirect_on_logout'] = false;
> $conf['auth']['params']['app'] = 'imp';
> $conf['auth']['driver'] = 'application';
> ===
>
> [Mine were identical, except for admins.  I changed that to root, but still
> cannot get in. I assume Horde is checking the contents of the /etc/passwd
> file, since I never specified a password during setup.  My previous value
> for admin was 'skeathley', and both that and 'root' are valid users in the
> system.  Do you know if Horde is checking the /etc/passwd file?]

If your config file points to 'driver'='application' and 'params'.'app'='imp'
then it is authenticating against IMP and *not* the /etc/passwd file.

Therefore, your /var/www/html/horde/imp/config/servers.php will list several
servers, you want to take them out, and have one that looks like this:

===
$servers['imap'] = array(
    'name' => 'Mail Services',
    'server' => 'localhost',
    'hordeauth' => false,
    'protocol' => 'imap/notls',
    'port' => 143,
    'maildomain' => 'lasnobberia.net.local',
    'smtphost' => 'localhost',
    'smtpport' => 25,
    'realm' => '',
    'preferred' => '',
);
===

Assuming, of course, that your mail server is IMAP based and on localhost

> Have you previously had Horde working on this server, and if so, can users
> still authenticate?
>

> [There is an existing (older) version of Horde, installed by Plesk.  After
> the upgrade to PHP 5.2.1, it is completely broken.]

Then I am tempted to think that you have upgraded PHP to PHP5 (and removed
PHP4) but not installed all the required PHP bits and pieces. Look at
http://server/horde/test.php and satisfy any reds.

Let us know how you get on.

Luck,
Steve