[imp] Slow logins and sends from one ISP

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Tue May 15 19:24:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Andrew Morgan wrote:

AM> Well, what I was getting at is that it is possible to configure IMP +
AM> uw-imapd such that a user's entire home directory is scanned for mailboxes.
AM> If a user has a large home directory, it can take a long time. Have you
AM> recompiled uw-imapd to only look in the ~/mail directory, or have you
AM> configured the namespace in IMP to restrict it to ~/mail?
AM>
AM> You'll want something like the following in the server config:
AM>
AM>     'imap_config' => array(
AM>         'children' => true,
AM>         'namespace' => array(
AM>             '' => array(
AM>                 'name' => 'mail/',
AM>                 'delimiter' => '/',
AM>                 'type' => 'personal',
AM>                 'hidden' => false,
AM>             )
AM>         ),
AM>         'search_charset' => array(
AM>             'UTF-8' => true
AM>         )
AM>     ),

	I appreciate the response, Andy!
	I'm using uw-imapd as it comes in the Debian distro - I'm not sure how
I'd check the compilation flags. The release notes are pretty informative but
nothing about all the options compiled in.
	I can say that *I* have an absolutely gargantuan home directory (by far
the biggest on our server) and I'm able to get in an out of IMP from desk at
work *and* from my ISP at home (same ISP as work) without these delays.
	So I think I see the tree you're barking up here, and I definitely
learned something about the way uw-imapd does its thing, but I don't think
that's the issue.
	Is the chunk 'o configs you kindly list above supposed to go on the mail
server running uw-imapd? Or is this an IMP config?

Brett Charbeneau, GSEC Gold, GCIH Gold
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library
7770 Croaker Road