[imp] "big three" webmail providers courting campus

Liam Hoekenga liamr at deathstar.org
Thu May 31 16:21:31 UTC 2007

Our institution is being courted by Hotmail and GMail (and I wouldn't be
surprised to see Yahoo to throw it's hat in the ring) - encouraging us
to stop providing email service to our students, instead allowing
provider /X/ to host all of our student email.

One of my coworkers pointed out today that Google had placed an ad in
our student newspaper asking people to take a survey, rating their
satisfaction with our current email service (which, as far as students
are concerned is IMP), and comparing it to how much more they like GMail
(the survey's a little slanted).

Anyhoo... some of the results could be changed by offering different
Horde modules ("No IM or calendar functionaliy", "Can't get my mail from
my mobile phone."), but the big one was a cry that the UI for IMP was
too complicated.  These are early results, specific to our school...

    What would you like to change about your school's current email system?
     - Complicated Interface (24%)

    What's the primary way that Gmail, Google Talk, and Google Calendar
could be better than your school's current systems?
     - User Interace (50%)

I just don't see the UI for IMP becoming more streamlined as time goes
on.. unless there are major plans for the Horde 4 / IMP 5 release.

We don't have Kronolith or MIMP installed.  We're eagerly awaiting DIMP,
but I fear that google's goal here is to organize a grass roots movement
to get students to demand that we switch to GMail institutionally.

I guess this is just a cautionary tale.  With the big three webmail
providers offering free or massively subsidized hosting for entire
student populations,  Horde is going to have to work real hard to stay
attractive and / or relevant.

What are other colleges and universities seeing?

Liam