[imp] The page cannot be displayed - problem

Joseph Malone josephmalone at higlum.com
Fri Jun 8 19:19:24 UTC 2007

Quoting Son Truong <svt at st-andrews.ac.uk>:

> Hello Joseph
>
> Thanks for the reply - I didn't think anyone would... I had the same
> speed issue (with apache running SSL - forgot to say in the first post)
> the last time  I set up  the new Webmail (H3) and had asked here...
>
> I did a search of the mailing list and came up with a post date 2005!
>
> Kevin Konowalec wrote:
>> Well we're running 75,000 users here so I can't afford to be
>> wasting too much time... especially when I get 60-100 irate emails
>> from users a day.  I guess the main source of frustration is the
>> lack of compiled documentation.  Sure you can say "go look in the
>> newsgroups" but if you don't know what you're looking for that's
>> not reallyhelpful.
>>
>> In this case it's not a Horde problem - it turns out (assuming
>> nobody calls in the next few minutes to tell me it ISN'T fixed)
>> that the problem is indeed with (surprise surprise) MICROSOFT.
>> It's, I'm told, a bug in the way IE handles SSL.  To fix it I added
>> the following to my httpd.conf file...
>>
>> In the VirtualHost section for port 443:
>>
>> SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
>>         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>>         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

ah yes, I remember the nokeepalive thing.  We used that too.  However,
we ran into some problems with it, although I can't recall what...
this was a couple years ago.  It may have had to do with large
attachments causing the "page cannot be displayed" or something
similar.  There were definitely consequences to having no keep alives
in IE.  We ended up taking it back out, and fixing the problem by
adjusting apache settings.  But, if it's working for you, then alls
well that ends well!