[imp] Use 'From' Information stored in Adress book?

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Jun 25 07:48:23 UTC 2007

Hello Chuck Hagenbuch,

Martin Waschbuesch had asked:
> The only setting I found relating to expansion of name/mail
> information is for outgoing mails [...]
> Is there an option for incoming mails as well?

You have answered:
> there is no such option, and I am not in
> favor of adding one. The info the mail is sent with is the info it's
> sent with

I agree with you that the mail should be presented, as it were sent
(notwithstanding a sensible interpretation of the contents, as
Imp does it, already).

However, as Imp uses JavaScript anyway, you could add a tooltip
displaying, on mouse over any address, the pertinent info from
the address book. (This includes both sender, and address fields.)

> - if I guess the email address of someone in your
> addressbook and forge it, it shouldn't look even _more_ legit to you
> than it already does.

With the tooltip suggested, the user would still see a conspicuous
difference between a message containing a name in the From line,
and a message that doesn't have it.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz