[imp] Attachment sizes and linked attachments

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Aug 1 13:45:36 UTC 2007

Zitat von Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Jan Schneider schrieb:
>> the attachment size limits are applied no matter  if the
>> attachments are sent with the message or as linked attachments.
>> Now, wouldn't it make sense to not use the same limits, or maybe
>> even  not use any limits at all, if you send files as linked
>> attachments?
>
> It would certainly make sense to provide separate size limits
> for attachments and linked attachments. Normally, the size limit
> for linked attachments would be much larger than the limit for
> RFC-822 attachments.
>

> As we had already a "File Transfer" service (akin to Imp's linked
> attachments) in place, I had to modify imp/templates/compose/compose.inc
> to adapt it to our situation (no linked attachments, rather a link
> to our service). One reason not to allow linked attachments were
> storage, and backup, considerations: Imp's upload drectory can be
> kept small, and temporary (e. g. a RAM disk), when no linked attachments
> need to be kept for days, or even weeks.

IMP doesn't store linked attachments in the temporary folder
explicitly. The attachments are stored in the VFS. So if you don't
want them to end up in the temporary folder, configure your VFS
backend accordingly.

> For sites like ours, some configurable backend, or hook interfaces,
> for the linked attachments would come handy. It would be nice to exploit
> Imp's user interface for the linked attachments (including a note on
> the URL, in the message being composed), but still use some external
> service for the actual storage (and later retrieval) of the files being
> linked. I had not yet the time to think about the details of this
> proposition, hence I haven't filed a formal enhancement request. Any
> ideas?

If you can't cover your external service directly with an existing VFS
driver, the easiest way would be to create a small custom VFS driver
that wraps your service. I can also see us supporting different
storage methods than VFS, but I first have to be convinced that such a
storage method can't be covered by a VFS driver.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/