[imp] MySQL or PostgreSQL

Josh Trutwin josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Mon Aug 27 13:35:07 UTC 2007

> You may see arguments about MySQL being faster than Postgresql, etc.
> These things used to be true, but today there is little difference
> between them.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that - as a MySQL -> PostgreSQL
convert there are still a few things in postgres that cause my
eyebrows to raise.  I recently found out you can rollback an ALTER
TABLE in pg, something you can't even do in Oracle.  Also if you go
PG, read up on vacuuming your database routinely, something you don't
do with MySQL.

There are definitely good/bad things about both databases, but there
is really nothing that will prevent you from using either with
horde.  I still use MySQL for Horde/Imp and occasionally during a
nightly backup I get a Max Packet error on the horde_session table,
other than that it's been a rock for years.

Josh