[imp] IMAP login issue

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Wed Sep 19 14:35:47 UTC 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 7:00 AM, imp-request at lists.horde.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:23:38 -0700
> From: Steve Paras-Charlton <steve at falchion.com>
> Subject: [imp] IMAP login issue
>
> I've setup horde to authenticate via imap (imap/notls,localhost) and
> that works fine.  I do the same for IMP, and I get "Login Failed".
> The
> imp/test.php login returns fine for imap/notls,
> imap/ssl/novalidate-cert, and imap/sasl/novalidate-cert (I'll reply to
> myself with actual output when I get to the appropriate system). Copy
> and paste of the test.php output into servers.php (any of the valid
> ones) yields exactly the same result.

You don't have any domain name issues, do you? Ie: your horde login
setup is configured to use a fqdn style email when logging in, like
'steve at falchion.com', and your imp isn't, so it's only trying
'steve'? Might compare logs of your successful login to the failed
one, see if you can spot any differences.

> Further investigation using tcpdump on lo shows that both the horde
> login and the test.php contact imapd as one would expect, but when
> trying the IMP login, there is no traffic!  Just a failure message.

This bit sounds a little like what I was having trouble with, but I'd
see a successful login to IMP, then it would hang. It would up being
some enabled internet ldap servers, one hung, and imp H3 didn't like
it. I disabled them and the problem was solved, so you might check
for external issues like that, but with an actual login failure in
the logs, it probably isn't the problem. Figured I'd mention it anyway.

   -Darrell