[imp] configuring login using full email address, not just username?

Paul Fielding paul at fielding.ca
Thu Oct 11 17:32:27 UTC 2007

I've been running a horde/imp server for some time now with multiple virtual domains enabled.  The two ways I have used for getting people to log in are:

1) go to a virtual domain, such as webmail.domain.com
  or
2) use the server pull-down menu to pick which virtual domain to use

The problem with these approaches are that there's been a tendancy for people to login with the wrong domain in both cases - either accidentally grabbing the wrong domain from the pull-down list, or using the wrong webmail domain name (people know my primary domain and often think they should be using that even if I've told them otherwise).

Of course, the result is that the successfully login to horde and can check their email, but they lose all their preferences/address books, etc, since their usernames are stored in horde as user at domain.com.

What I would LIKE to do is to have only one web address for everyone to go to for horde, but also get rid of the pull-down domain menu.  Instead, I'd like to have them login with their *full* email address at the Username prompt, and have horde log them in appropriately, with the correct domain after the @ based on what they put in the Username field.

I've done much searching for people doing this to no avail, and have even dared to look through the code a bit (I'm no php programmer) to see if I could figure it out.

Has anyone done this, or is there a known way to make this happen?

Many thanks....

Paul